September 1, 2010

February 28, 2010



This lovely old bird had a night time TV show when I was four. We heard it
a few times, I'm sure. Not that I can recall, now, what numbers.

Anymore, I imagine his all(?) male chorus singing, "She's Having Our Baby",
or "We're Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover".













Another little record I never
heard of. An' whattaya know, there's ole Mitch.












That same year, if I happened
to get up early on Saturday
mornings to see Supercar, I
might catch Jon Gnagy, here,
giving his art lesson.

He was big on basic shapes.


In 1980 or so, in my only visit with friend Sam K. in Green Bay, I ran across
a lesson book of (G)Nagy's. But, decided not to buy it.

He's a load smudgier than I like to do anything, but he was another in a set of
things that let me know art was possible as an adult. As you can hear in his
clips, he had a great voice (and some might say a face) for radio.

But, not only does he share 'devilish good looks' with Mitch, they look roughly
like each other. And I seldom think of one without thinking of the other.

3 comments:

  1. [via (abandoned) Yahoo Profiles]:

    98 years old and still going strong... This Gnagy fellow's art lessons must have far more inspiring then that of our resident "art teacher" Mr. Squiggle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNrG9a22nc - Growing up watching this backed with "Henry's Cat" and "Roger Ramjet", it's no wonder I can't draw worth a shit! (Ol' Gnagy in that pic looks a lot like my second eldest brother too - they both have kind of a "Sesame Street" Count von Count thing going on).

    --Ryan H. 3/2/10

    [Mitch Miller since died July 31, 2010]. -RG

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the Fuzzy Wuzzy song, it's pretty hideous. Chorus goes "Fuzzy Wuzzy wuz a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair, Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't fuzzy wuzzy." Almost as disappointing as the smurfs "Smurfing beer, smurfing beer, you don't get drunk because it isn't beer" (or something like that)

    Great blog you've got here Rick - I'm trying to draw twisted animals and it's a great reference spot.

    Bron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I heard the song plenty often enough on Captain Kangaroo, I guess. But never saw it as a record before.

    Sounds like the Smurfs need to go back to the song team office and finish that one.

    I shall endeavor to add here more of our twisted fellow beings in future. Skewness is always good for an inspiring chuckle.

    ReplyDelete