January 26, 2011

January 26, 2011

The only gum card from this set I've so far owned was this one dropped
into my (1968?) Halloween bag by an older neighborhood kid on the next
block.

No doubt, for him, merely one of his 'dupes', it was loosely covered in one
of the wrappers the cards came in, which I didn't hang on to. Eagerly
unwrapping it, and trying to see it in the dark I was a bit let down by seeing
only the back of Dr. Zaius. (Presumably not a double).


He should turn around---well, turn it over and he sort of has, only as a
drawing. But, the text cautiously adds the bit about lobotomy, so, I was
still sufficiently staggered.

I was a bit too young to know about the first movie when it came out, so
could only rely on my aunt's recall of the cornfield scene, which I also
caught on the otherwise highly avoidable Academy Awards show on one
of our three TV channels. I went on to get my paws on the Gold Key comic
of 'Beneath' and from then on spotted the rest in the paper in time to go
see and sit throo twice. A drive-in marathon and the TV series pretty much
moved me to satiation. By then I was a teenager, and they were doing it
all to death with the (very) limited animation cartoon and the over extended
Mike Ploog run in the Marvel magazines.

I often forget that Dr. Zaius' other council members are standing nearby up
there for a dramatic little three way 'loom down' at the smelly, raving human.

5 comments:

  1. Ape City! Still looks better than the one in that Burton abomination. Must have been a blast as a kid when this flick came out. One need to watch again - all we get here are the inferior sequels.

    Human Dr. Zaius = legendary "piss artist" / sometime muso / stand-up comedian Rick Wakeman? (or p'haps stumpy singer-songwriter, one time "Phantom of the Paradise" star Paul Williams?)

    Also, this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfwO5oxO0A - it wasn't until just recently that I found out this was a 'Falco' spoof. Is amusing regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul Williams WAS an orang in the fifth movie. I even got to see him appear in makeup on the Tonight Show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, my sister had to tell me about 'Amadeus'. The Simpson thing is always popping into my head every time the original subject enters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Williams was in an Apes flick, yeah? Ha! Man, that's weird... Talk about inspired casting!

    How many damn Apes films were there anyway?

    Likewise on that Simpsons thing. Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's really only five, but they later broke up the TV series and recombined them into more, with fake titles.

    ReplyDelete